Shimmering Acorn Ornaments

About a year ago, I stumbled upon a photo of painted acorns on Pinterest. They were very pretty and it was suggested they could be used in a glass container as seasonal decor. I thought they might make very cute Christmas tree ornaments if I could figure out how to put a hanger on them. I pinned the idea, but left it untried because I didn't have a source for acorns.

Fast forward to this month, when I went on a trip to Toronto. There was an unexpected side trip that my host probably didn't think I'd enjoy. In fact, he warned me that as we pulled into our destination, I'd hear acorns being crushed under the tires of his car. "Did you say acorns?!?!?" "Yes, acorns." "AWESOME!" While he attended to his task, I picked as many acorns as I could hold in my hands up off the ground. I sealed them in a plastic bag until I got home.

Yesterday afternoon, I opened my ziplock bag and emptied the contents onto a baking sheet. I then put the acorns in the oven for a few hours to kill any nasties that might be living in them. Once cool, I noticed a few of the caps had popped off. Perfect!

I made a few hangers and glued the caps back in place with the hangers between the caps and the acorns. Then I left them to dry overnight.

I should note that in the future if I was to make these again, I'd probably try to drill into the cap near the stem and put a small eye hook in for hanging -- but I don't currently own a dremel or drill (that will hopefully be remedied this Christmas!).




Today, I took a trip to Michaels to purchase some metallic paint. I used to have a lot of craft paint on hand, but much of it was getting old, so I tossed it all and have been buying what I need as the need arises. I wasn't sure what colour I would buy when I went, but once there I decided that copper would be the perfect colour.

Tonight, I painted the acorns and left them to dry hanging from a wooden spoon propped on Mason jars. I also painted the others and propped them on their caps to dry.










I'm very happy with the way they turned out and think they'll have a nice shimmer next to Christmas lights on a tree. I may add a clear coat over top to protect them -- we'll see.

What colour would you paint your acorn ornaments?


No comments:

Post a Comment