Strawberry Brownie Ice Cream

Since treating myself to a KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment several years ago (a pandemic indulgence spurred on by my sister and mother), I've made a quart (or so) of ice cream each summer to enjoy. Among the hits have been malted ice cream with crushed Maltesers, sour cherry ice cream with chocolate pieces, and blueberry ice cream with cheese cake bits. I've also tried lemon sorbet, which was especially good with vodka. 

This year, looking to match or surpass the wonder that was blueberry cheese cake ice cream last summer, I got to thinking that strawberry ice cream would be delicious. And then it hit me that the perfect companion would be my mother's chocolate fudge brownies. In addition to being absolutely heavenly, her brownies also don't really freeze even when placed in a cookie can in a deep freezer for several weeks (don't ask how I know this). That means that they shouldn't be rock solid (and unpleasant) in an ice cream mixture. 

After consulting a number of recipes online, I decided to modify the Driscoll's recipe for blueberry ice cream that I liked so much last summer. I bought a pound of fresh strawberries and chopped them before cooking and pureeing them. While they chilled in the fridge with the cream and milk, I mixed up a batch of brownies and baked it on a pizza pan. Once cool, I chopped up a third of the thin brownie into 1cm cubes and froze them. About 24 hours later, we were able to churn the ice cream and layer it in a tub with the brownie pieces. I also molded a few strawberry ice cream bars (no brownie pieces) for a chocolate experiment (stay tuned!). Then into the freezer!

The yield this time consisted of one quart container, two small individual serving containers, and four bars. The flavour is exceptional. There's just nothing like fresh strawberries. 

I definitely will have to buy a box of sugar cones so that I can enjoy a sweet treat throughout the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment