Parmesan Herb Bread

What do you do when you have rosemary in your fridge that has to be used? You bake parmesan herb bread, of course!

Several months ago, my boyfriend found a recipe online for Rustic Garlic Parmesan Herb Bread by Stay at Home Chef. We made it to accompany a meal and really enjoyed it. It was relatively quick to prepare and the flavour and texture were perfection. The best part of the recipe, though, was that it suggested you form the dough into two small boules instead of one larger loaf. So, after consuming one with our supper, we tucked the other away in the freezer to enjoy the following week. Built in portion control! (And let's be honest, when it comes to freshly baked bread, we all struggle with that.)

While I'm a big believer in making a recipe as written the first time (unless there is an obvious error), I'm also one to tinker with recipes, make substitutions, and make them my own. So this time I cut the garlic, swapped in fresh rosemary instead of a selection of dried herbs, and added a little extra parmesan (because, like chocolate, you measure cheese with your heart). In less than 5 minutes, I had a smooth dough ready to begin its first rise.

As I reflect on just how easy this recipe seems to come together, I realize that the method is just as important as the ratio of ingredients. If you put the liquid in the bowl first, it's much easier to incorporate the dry ingredients than if you do the reverse. I learned this years ago when I did Bake for the Cure. One of the chefs led participants in making focaccia and that was his advice for making bread in a stand mixer. Very smart. 

After shaping two boules, leaving them to rise again for another 20 minutes or so, and scoring the tops, I popped them in the oven for 20 minutes. And voila! Delicious homemade parmesan rosemary bread. 

As much as I want to tear into one of these right now, they are both destined for the freezer to be enjoyed another day. They'll be perfect with soup or curry -- and I'm certain my future self with thank me for this partial meal prep.

Until then, do you have a favourite bread recipe? 






No comments:

Post a Comment