Basque Burnt Cheesecake

Before Christmas, I was watching an episode of Crime Scene Kitchen during which the mystery dessert was Basque burnt cheesecake. I had never heard of it before, but resolved to try making it.

Now, as much as I enjoy baking, cheesecake it not something I've ever bothered with. It's too finicky. Too precious, as the cool kids say these days. You'd swear you were handling an explosive device. All of the ingredients have to be at room temperature. You have to use a water bath. Bake it low and slow, and aim not to get any colour on top. Leave it in the oven to cool before putting it on a counter to cool before putting it in a fridge to chill. Pray. Do everything possible to ensure it doesn't crack or collapse. And then when it inevitably does, try to disguise it with artfully arranged toppings. 

No thanks. I'm good. I've seen this show before and know how it ends. (I'm not pointing any elbows, but someone reading this blog has made a delicious orange cheese several times now and no matter what they do, they still face the heartbreak of massive fault line every time.)

Basque burnt cheesecake is entirely different. You bake it hot and fast, seeking a dark colour on top that gives a hint of caramel flavour. When you remove it from the oven (immediately after baking), you want it to collapse and crack. No sacrificing of a goat required here. This one is foolproof. 

So how does it taste? 

Absolutely delicious. I was a little suspicious when I first took it out of the oven, worried that it might be too eggy or have more of a soufflĂ© texture. As it turns out, my fears were unfounded. It was creamy and not overly sweet. Topped with dulce de leche, it made a perfect dessert. I can only imagine that a fruit compote on top would be spectacular as well. 

If, like me, you don't have the patience for traditional cheesecake or if you've been intimidated by the usual process (or if maybe you've angered the baking gods and have had multiple failures), I highly recommend giving Basque burnt cheesecake a try. It will make a superstar out of any novice and you can save the angst for something more deserving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment