Newfoundland Bean-to-Bar Chocolate

When people think of Newfoundland and chocolate these days, their minds automatically go to Newfoundland Chocolate Company, which reached the height of its popularity and brand visibility just before the Covid-19 pandemic started. They had expanded into Nova Scotia and became known in particular for the colourful sayings that they printed on their bars, as well as a line of row house bars. Far fewer people will know that there is a bean-to-bar chocolate company in Newfoundland called Jacobean. Indeed, a few of my closest friends in Corner Brook had never heard of them before. I discovered them two summers ago while visiting Rocky Harbour, though the company is based in Mount Pearl. This summer, I made a pilgrimage to Woody Point to buy a few bars to try.

Jacobean is, dare I say, a more sophisticated chocolate company. This is not "industrial chocolate." They don't trade on sterotypes; rather, they meld local ingredients and flavours with chocolate in small batches. For example, the first bar I tried combined Newfoundland juniper berries with 70% dark chocolate. 

(Side note: This is the type of direction that I proposed in my business plan during my professional chocolatier program, though I had no intention of getting into bear-to-bar production.) 

Tonight we decided to try the limited edition English Oats Breakfast milk chocolate bar, with oats, maple sugar, and cinnamon. At only 8.79%, it's possibly the "blondest" milk chocolate I've ever tasted. The bar was in perfect temper, with a beautiful, smooth surface. Check out that sheen in the photo below! 

This is a subtle chocolate bar. It's warm and gentle, with the cinnamon lingering on the palate. If you "crunch" through the bar, the flavour is easily missed, but if you let it melt on your tongue, the complexity comes through. And the milk chocolate is so "milky" that it is reminiscent of breakfast cereal.

There's no question that this is a delicious bar. Personally, I would have liked a slightly more robust chocolate flavour in the mix, but I entirely understand what they were going for and achieved with this bar. It was a pleasure to try such a unique flavour profile in chocolate. 

And so I highly recommend seeking out some Jacobean chocolate to try! This is truly craft chocolate and worth the extra effort. (Says the girl who convinced her father to drive 120km to purchase it...)

Is there a chocolate that you'd drive 120km for? Comment below! 


No comments:

Post a Comment