Savouring Craft Chocolate

Around Easter, I made a pilgrimage to a local grocery store having learned that they stocked Hummingbird chocolate. I was disappointed to find that they only had Easter eggs available and none of the single origin bars. While I enjoyed my chocolate tasting experience, I was a little disappointed -- but not for long! My friend Dennis, who I've known since my undergrad days at Memorial (thank you Dennis!) mailed several of Hummingbird's 28g chocolate bars to me. They were the perfect size for sampling and for savouring.

I actually tried the first one, the PB & Joy bar, several weeks ago and the second one, Fleur de Sel, this week. I'm pacing myself, difficult though it is, but that means there will be a second blog in the coming weeks. 

For now, let me tell you how surprised I was by the PB & Joy bar. It was incredible and I've had nothing like it before. I expected something similar to the peanut butter filled Easter eggs that I had tried in March -- that is, a dark chocolate bar with peanut butter filling. It was nothing like that. The wrapper says they "roast and grind peanuts with cocoa beans from the Dominican Republic with lovely fruity notes." Grinding peanuts with cocoa beans? This bar is next level!

To be honest, I had no idea that such a process was even possible, despite my previous training.  Different fats aren't always compatible, but obviously this combination and their technique works. The chocolate is in perfect temper. (And as I reflect, I do remember reading that gianduja, a mixture of chocolate and ground nuts, could be tempered, but I've never tried it. We'll add that to the list!) 

The resulting bar isn't as intense or sweet as commercial peanut butter chocolate treats, but instead has a satisfying earthiness. If you love the combination of peanuts and chocolate, this is definitely worth trying. 

The Fleur de Sel may be more divisive, although I very much enjoyed it. A 70% dark chocolate bar with Canadian sea salt, the Fleur de Sel is has a very pronounced floral flavour. While it teeters on the edge of too floral, it isn't unpleasant in the way that other chocolates with strong floral notes can be (click here to read about my first chocolate tasting experience). 

When first trying this bar, it is difficult to taste the salt at all -- and to be clear, they indicate that the salt is meant to enhance the floral notes, not to overpower them. That said, when you let the chocolate dissolve slowly on your tongue, the salt becomes more pronounced and the flavours much more complex. 

A word of caution, though: the floral flavour does linger for a few minutes (or more) after tasting. 

In short, these are really unique, well-made artisanal bars that are worth trying (and you can order them here if you don't have a Dennis of your own). The PB & Joy bar, in particular, is outstanding and would probably be delicious with a rich cup of coffee. I highly recommend it!

But more than that, I strongly encourage you to step out of the box. Treat yourself! Try something new. Challenge your taste buds! And support a small chocolate producer at the same time. Their fine chocolate is worth the premium price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment