When I Dip You Dip We Dip

One of the techniques that I've been struggling with in my professional chocolatier program is enrobing. Part of the struggle has come from the tempering process and learning to hold chocolate in temper without it becoming over-crystallized. Another part of the struggle has come from using the wrong dipping tools (since remedied). And another part has stemmed from coordination and dipping technique. Consequently, I've decided that I need to practice this to get better at it.

Recently for my birthday, one of my friends gave me a small silicone Easter egg mold. At first I thought I'd use it to mold some fruit gummies, but then I realized I could melt down my gianduja, pipe it into the mold, and then enrobe them. In the words of the Barefoot Contessa, How bad could that be?

I popped out my gianduja eggs once they were set. Then I used the direct method to temper a small amount of milk chocolate and enrobed the little eggs. I like the enrobing method advocated by Callebaut. You take your centre, pop it into the tempered chocolate face down. Then, with the dipping fork, you flip it over in the chocolate, and tap off the excess. I only had about 21 of them, so it was a good number to work with. Previously, my batches had produced 64 (or more) centres -- and I found that tiring. The smaller number was more manageable. Great for practice, but not so many as to result in frustration.

I have to say, I'm happy with the result. These are cute and delicious. Part of me does wish I had more -- I would package them up as gifts for Easter. But I think doing small batches more frequently will do more to develop technique over time.

I bet a peanut butter filling would be amazing too.

What's your favourite Easter egg flavour or filling?



No comments:

Post a Comment