Maintaining Momentum

Since starting the Professional Chocolatier program in January, I've made seven confections: strawberry rhubarb pate de fruits, strawberry truffles, marzipan espresso bonbons, blueberry ganache bonbons, molasses caramels, port wine truffles, and gianduja bonbons. I've loved the opportunity to try new techniques and flavours -- and I think my friends have enjoyed the samples as well. At this point, the course is pivoting away from recipe development to production planning based in research, but I really don't want to lose the momentum I've gained in the kitchen. It's now up to me to continue challenging myself.

Last weekend, I had intended to take a break from the course (and so begins the slippery slope), because it has been more intense than I'd initially planned for and because the previous week had been very busy, with a trip to Halifax and a jazz gig, in addition to my usual work. But then one of my classmates asked if I could upload her assignment and photos to our discussion forum (Chef's Table) because she couldn't get it to work from her own computer. Always happy to assist (it's the professor in me, perhaps), I resized her photographs for upload and while so-doing began drooling over her image of almond roca. It looked absolutely amazing. (Note: In these assignments, we get to pick what recipes we're going to develop based on a series of parameters. This explains why she was submitting different confections than I was.)

Now, I'd never eaten almond roca, but it seemed as though everything about it was perfect. I'd also never made toffee, so it would be a chance to try something new if I convinced myself to do it. For a day or two I mulled it over in my head and then finally decided it had to happen. I located a recipe, trekked to Bulk Barn to purchase some roasted, salted almonds, and then came home to begin Liquid Hot MAGMA, the sequel. This time, I would be cooking brown sugar and butter to 290 F before adding almonds and slabbing it. Then I'd cover it in couverture and sprinkle more almonds. What's not to love? (Except, of course, for the whole cooking to 290 F part...)

Actually, the process went smoothly. Thanks to all of that butter, there was no concern whatsoever that I might have sugar sticking to my pot. But all of that butter did present challenges later in the process. You see, once everything had cooled and the couverture had set, my layered almond roca turned into some of the most delicious almond toffee and almond bark you've ever tasted -- but almond roca it was not.

While cutting it into pieces, the chocolate separated from the toffee for about half of the batch.

Initially, I was disappointed. But I got over that pretty quickly (trying to channel the life lessons of my alter ego Ginger Snaps). There will always be things that don't quite turn out right the first time you do them and, as failures go, this one wasn't all that terrible. It still tasted amazing. As well, thanks to what I've learned in the Professional Chocolatier program, I was able to diagnose the issue and note changes to make in the future to prevent the same issue.

I also realized that all of the little shards of chocolate, toffee, and almonds would make a fabulous topping for ice cream. So, in fact, if I were to ever open the chocolaterie that I am imagining for my course, I'd probably make this again -- exactly as I had -- and then break the whole thing up to sprinkle over homemade ice cream.

Or maybe I'll just do that this summer?

My goal going forward will be to try something new most weekends. If you would like to help me maintain my momentum, I'd love to hear your suggestions for confections I should try next.






2 comments:

  1. Robert Campbell18 March 2018 at 09:27

    How about mendiants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! They were in the curriculum and I've never made them before.

      Delete