Professional Chocolatier Program: Part 1

Yesterday, while many were without power due to a crazy storm referred to as a "bomb/cyclone" that featured blizzard-like conditions combined with thunder and lightning, I was sitting here in my apartment starting my professional chocolatier program (and repeatedly expressing gratitude for not having lost power). While I'd had access to module 1 for the past two weeks and spent much of Wednesday ordering supplies and doing background reading, the course didn't officially start until January 5th.

Other than introducing ourselves in the forum and updating our online profiles, our first task was to conduct research on independent chocolatiers and begin to identify what type of chocolatier we want to be. Hand-crafted small batch? Large-scale production in a factory? Traditional or modern decorating techniques? Catering to particular industry trends (gluten-free, vegan, single origin chocolate, etc)? Storefront, eCommerce, or wholesale?

To be honest, when I first signed up for this program, I hadn't asked myself these questions. I think I signed up out of genuine curiosity and because I enjoy baking, making treats, and trying new recipes. I signed up because I am a multipotentialite (my new favourite word) who believes in lifelong education and likes to be challenged. Because it is an online program, I think that maybe I didn't put enough thought into the adjective "professional" and just what that meant, not only for me but for my fellow classmates (some of whom are trained pastry chefs). And yet having conducted the research for the first assignment, I now have a very clear idea in my head about what sort of business I want to run, what type of chocolates I want to produce, and how I will differentiate myself from the local competition. As I continue to blog about the program, I'll reveal what I've decided. For now, I'll leave you guessing.

As I reorient my brain to exactly what it is I've signed up for, I've also changed my approach to the supply list for the course. Initially, I had more of a "make do" attitude. Sure, I ordered the required 5kg of chocolate, transfer sheets, and food-grade acetate as instructed, but I thought I would "get by" with the chocolate molds I already own instead of buying professional polycarbonate molds. I also thought I'd avoid buying the "optional" items, like coloured cocoa butter. Once I had access to the 7 assignments (and interacted with one of my fellow students who is trained as a baker and pastry chef), I realized that was not the way to go. The tools can indeed have an impact on the final product and now that I have a vision for what I want to produce, there's no way to achieve that vision without buying a few additional items. And so a few more orders have been placed online.

Talking to my mother today, I joked that with this investment, everyone will be getting chocolates (and nothing else) for Christmas next year. So, if you're normally on my list, consider yourself warned.

All joking aside, I must confess that I'm excited about doing this. One of the assignments is a chocolate tasting with friends during which you sample a number of different chocolates and compare them. Who doesn't love an excuse for a chocolate party, especially during a long, cold winter? And I'm starting to think about inviting friends over to taste the five chocolates that I have to develop for two assignments (assuming they turn out). After all, I'm probably going to end up making about 20 or so pieces of each one. Perhaps I'll turn that tasting into a focus group and get some feedback on flavours and design in exchange for sweet treats.

However it works out, I know that I'm going to learn a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment