Oatmeal Muffins

Today I had some time to myself, so I decided it was a good opportunity to bake something from the Cream of the West Cook Book again. I took the book down and flipped through every page, taking note of things I'd like to try in the future (porridge bread), things I might be willing to try (carrot quiche?), and things I definitely did not ever want to try (a strange rice and marshmallow concoction). Eventually I decided that oatmeal muffins would be a good choice (particularly since I had all the ingredients).

I followed the recipe as written, using vegetable oil. Of course, I couldn't resist adding some raisins to these muffins, because just as peanut butter and jam are soul mates, so are raisins and oatmeal.

The interesting thing about older recipes, of course, is how small the portions are. This recipe makes 12 small muffins. I filled the muffin cups 1/2 full (using a 1/4 cup measure), because if I'd filled them 2/3 full as the recipe suggests, I'd have run out of batter. I'd imagine that for most people, they'd want to divide this batter between 6 cups to make more substantial muffins, but the smaller size is fine by me for a snack. The recipe is accurate in terms of bake time -- mine came out perfect in 18 minutes.

The resulting muffin is light and airy, with a bit of chew from the rolled oats (perfectly pleasant). They doubled in size as a result of the baking powder. The only change I'd make for the future is to double the cinnamon.

I give them a 7/10.



What's your favourite muffin recipe?

And what would you add to oatmeal muffins?

No comments:

Post a Comment