Crafting for a Cause

When I moved to Cape Breton (the second time), I made an effort to become more involved in the community (though I freely admit that I'm still trying to find where I fit in). In 2013, when I learned through a friend that the Cape Breton Chorale was hosting a fundraiser in support of the palliative care music therapy program, I wanted to help out. But I had no idea what one should contribute to an auction.

Auctions, both live and silent, are popular here in Cape Breton. I'd go so far as to say that you could attend an auction every week during the year if you wanted to (but that is perhaps exaggeration on my part). I might even suggest that they are overdone and that greater creativity in fundraising initiatives would help diversify events and improve the financial outcome. But that would probably be an unpopular standpoint... Auctions are popular here.

So, I turned to a few "locals" to guide this CFA (come-from-away). I asked them what I might be able to contribute to an auction, not having been brought up in the auction tradition. Some suggested drawing on my musical background (a certificate to serenade someone on Valentine's Day, for example, or voice lessons), but I wasn't certain that such a certificate from a largely unknown musician in a land of many musicians would even get a bid. One thought that I could offer up a custom cake, having completed all of the Wilton courses at Michaels. While I loved the idea, I wasn't entirely confident that I could produce something to my own standards, since I haven't had a lot of time to practice these skills. Others suggested I get my craft on. They noted that painted wine glasses, such as the then popular chalkboard wine glasses, were good options. Having recently watched a friend working on a set of them one afternoon, it was clear that they would be easy enough to make even though I had never attempted them before. And with similar products on Etsy, I could identify the appropriate value for the auction sheet. As an added bonus, it would be an opportunity to try something new. I headed off to Michaels and Dollarama for supplies.


It didn't take long or much money (less than $20) to assemble what I needed. Black chalkboard paint, a paint palette, four wine glasses, some alcohol (for cleaning the surface), and painter's tape. I already had paint brushes and Goo Gone to remove the price tags from the glasses. I followed the directions on the paint, used the tips shared by my friend, and consulted this tutorial for baking instructions (which I modified slightly). I worked on them for a few minutes each day and less than a week later had the finished product. I visited a Walmart to purchase chalk that could be packaged with them.

I was very pleased with the way they turned out. I packaged them in a gift bag along with the chalk and passed them along to my contact with the Cape Breton Chorale, who incorporated them into their auction. I also attended the auction -- my first ever -- and have to say that I do see the appeal of the live auction. It's strangely exhilarating to bid on items with a paper plate!

Since then, I've made several sets of chalkboard wine glasses for various fundraisers in Sydney. They are valued at more than they cost to make -- often found on Etsy for about $20 for 4 -- and obviously after the initial investment for paint, etc, the cost of supplies is now only that of the unadorned wine glasses.

So, do they sell at an auction?

I'm happy to say that I have never had the embarrassment of no one bidding on the glasses that I made and donated. Even better, they have been bid on by people I don't actually know (although people I know have bid on them as well). They have sold for between 60% and 210% of their value, so as auction items go, they aren't bad (I recently read that items in silent auctions often sell for 50% of their value -- after all, people go to silent auctions for a bargain, right?). The great thing is that I really enjoy making them. As someone who likes to craft, it's nice to have something to do with the end product. Since I don't sell my crafts, they usually become gifts for family and friends. Making them available to raise funds for good causes makes me feel good. And during a recent illness that left me apartment-bound for almost a month, making them was even therapeutic.

Do you craft for any causes? I'd love to hear about your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment